Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Earth Day, Arbor Day, handmade upcycled art

Please click this image for a larger view!


"Blackbird in my Backyard"




For Earth Day, and Arbor Day this coming Friday, I sewed this miniature wall hanging today. I upcycled a 100% cotton green sweater that had a lot of paint on it... big surprise. The "painting" is an ACEO sized giclee on canvas printed in my art studio. I sewed it onto the back of an imperfect giclee print, (the canvas is unprimed on the back,) and it is finished with some natural twine that I had handy from tying up my paper recycling for tomorrow.

There are a ton of common grackles, (Starling family,) that return to the gigantic white pine behind my house every spring. Boy they are loud, but really neat! A hawk comes around and controls the population naturally, but they keep coming back anyway.


(-: Everyday is Earth Day! :-)
-
Thanks for viewing!


P.S. My husband and I are about to celebrate our one year anniversary this weekend. We planted a Wollemi Pine tree last year at our zero carbon emission, eco-friendly, Arbor Day wedding!

2 comments:

  1. That's really cool! I love upcycling and hope to do more of it myself in future projects.

    I couldn't get your slideshow to work. I'll try it later on a different computer. Congrats on your one year anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this turned out really nicely Becky! how's the wollemi pine?

    ReplyDelete