Monday, August 3, 2009

Relic01- Dawn

I've been feeling so stuck lately. I'm sure everyone who makes anything creative knows the feeling and how frustrating it is. Well, I've been slogging away at these collages and just not feeling very into it. Somehow I almost forgot that I make jewelry too! I think it was because my jewelry materials were in a horrible mess. But as often the case, straightening things up led to discovering some cool things I had stashed away and thinking of some new ideas. It was nice to get away from the collages and actually finish a project in one evening for a change!

This is the first in what I hope will be a series of necklaces using found odds and ends and as much recycled stuff as I can incorporate, and loosely based on the idea of "relics from lost worlds". Maybe past worlds, maybe future worlds, maybe imaginary worlds? Maybe I've been watching too much old British sci-fi involving visits to strange planets?

This one uses an old rusty washer I found on the street, and some acrylic/plastic beads from an old necklace belonging to my grandmother. Normally I avoid plastic like the plague because I think it can look cheap and tacky, but these beads are interesting enough to be an exception!

3 comments:

  1. I love that, Jen! I recently made some bracelets exactly the same way, from odds and ends that had gathered themselves together in my stash. Maybe I should try that again with the messy bead board I posted yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also wanted to say I know about "stuck," which is where I am right now. I've been making things but somehow they haven't been as "right" as I want them to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the background Jen! the washer and the chain coupled with the pearls too, very nice.

    ReplyDelete