Wednesday, May 20, 2009

New Skills = New Product

Soooooo, that whole once a week post kinda got lost as I was preparing for the Maryland Faerie Festival. I have tons of stuff to show, just no time to do it!
A few weeks ago I talked my mom into teaching me how to solder, as in stained glass. I've done jewelry soldering with an acetylene torch, but this was a new kind of animal. My idea was to created glass-based wands with semi precious stones. My apprentice effort resulted in the following:
The shaft is a black 12-13mm dia. moretti glass rod. The stones include two large quartz points - one on each end, a baroque labradorite cabochon with wonderful shiller (the blue flashes), and a collection of tumbled quartz and hematite. It was composed with silver back copper foil and lead free solder holds it all together. This is a solid construction and weight more than it looks like it should. As my very first soldering project, I am quite pleased with the way it turned out.

3 comments:

  1. That is fantastic! I love the labradorite- one of my favorite stones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, this is very cool. soldering = impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing...everything you make is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete