Saturday, May 2, 2009

Pigeons and Rainbows

In most cities pigeons are despised, but they are truly amazing creatures. Pigeons are smart, sweet birds that engage in monogamous relationships and take equal responsibility for sitting on their eggs and feeding and raising their young. They are social birds and live in flocks that usually encompass several generations of a family.

When I took this photo I was actually shooting the rainbow. In my old neighborhood I only saw rainbows a few times a year, but now I see them a few times a month. I believe it’s because my house is close to the Delaware River so there’s always a lot of moisture in the air.

This particular rainbow was a double, but the second one faded as I was taking the picture. Still, this is my favorite shot because of the pigeons. I was pleasantly surprised to catch them in flight, especially since I have an inexpensive 2.0 megapixel camera. The pigeon on the left reminds me of an angel.

4 comments: